The first school in Longstowe was established by the rector in 1818, and 25 children were educated on Sundays and two evenings during the week. This school was short lived, a similar school was opened in 1826. Described as a day and Sunday school, it was supported by the rector and principal inhabitants. All poor children were taught gratuitously but a few more prosperous children contributed. The mistress received a salary and coal and lived in a house provided rent-free by the rector. The school was attended by 15 boys and 25 girls in 1835 and by 13 boys and 15 girls in 1846-7. The last school to be built in Longstowe was a Church of England school in 1854.